Thursday, April 18, 2019

Mountains and Wildflowers

My mountain is large, but it is absolutely covered in fields of wildflowers.

People tell me that when all of my treatment is over I can look back on this past year and chalk it up to just a terrible year but you know what? It hasn't been. I was diagnosed in October of 2018 and I do not think it ruined my year. 2018 was one of the best years of my life and 2019 isn't looking too bad either.

This mountain I'm climbing hurts my back, my legs are tired, and I can't see the top from where I'm standing but I'm still here, and I'm still climbing. The beauty of it mingles with the pain and I can appreciate the worthiness of the struggle. It reflects back to me the common thread seen throughout my life; I am more than one thing.

It becomes easy to be consumed by the label of cancer. Days pass where it is all you talk about with your spouse, all you think about when you aren't talking about it, the core location for where all of you money, time, and energy is focused. If you are very lucky, time will pass and you will find yourself passing a day where cancer neither entered your mind nor your conversation. The mountain will never go away. It will shift and change as your life shifts and changes but I hope it is always covered in fields of wildflowers.

Surgery next week. I hope the drugs are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment